Resources for Employers
To help us better serve businesses in our region, please take a moment to complete this brief survey.
Workplace Health and Safety
Reduced Work Hours or Potential Layoffs
- California EDD’s UI Work Sharing Program
This program allows employers to seek an alternative to layoffs, retaining their trained employees by reducing their hours and wages that can be partially offset with UI benefits. Workers of employers who are approved to participate in the Work Sharing Program receive the percentage of their weekly UI benefit amount based on the percentage of hours and wages reduced, not to exceed 60 percent. Visit Work Sharing Program to learn more about its benefits for employers and employees, and how to apply.
Health Plan Resources
- Midtown Association: Building and Storefront Security Tips
Note: Please scroll down to section Sacramento Police Department: Building and Storefront Security Tips
- California EDD Rapid Response Services for Businesses
Employers planning a closure or major layoffs as a result of the coronavirus can get help through the Rapid Response program. Rapid Response teams will meet with you to discuss your needs, help avert potential layoffs, and provide immediate on-site services to assist workers facing job losses. For more information, refer to the Rapid Response Services for Businesses Fact Sheet (DE 87144RRB) (PDF) or explore other alternatives from California EDD to laying off employees.
- Storefront Safety
If you close and/or vacate your business for an extended period of time, follow these important steps for crime prevention.
- To avoid attracting negative activity at your business, if you choose to post an exterior sign to notify customers you are closed, please add this important language: This space is monitored by the [insert local police department or sheriff].
- Tape an interior-facing phone contact list at all entry and exits into your business to provide quick contacts for first responders. This should not be visible from the exterior.
- Notify your alarm company of the extended absence and ensure they have accurate contact information for your business. If you receive an alarm call, do not cancel it.
- Notify your local PBID, Merchant Association or similar to share an email and phone contact that should be utilized in case of emergencies.
Food & Beverage Industry
- California Updates Blueprint for a Safer Economy
Beginning March 13, breweries, wineries and distilleries that do not serve meals may open outdoors only with modifications in the Purple (widespread) and Red (substantial) tiers. Bars that do not serve meals remain closed in the Purple (widespread) and Red (substantial) tiers.
- Metro Chamber Virtual Discussion on Restaurant Health and Safety
On July 7th, the Metro Chamber and Chef Mulvaney hosted a virtual conversation for our restaurants with County Health Director Dr. Peter Beilenson and Senator Pan. This online gathering provided an opportunity for our restaurant community to ask direct questions on their concerns related to the Governor’s recent health directives, steps to take if an employee tests positive or COVID-19 and how to best create a safe and healthy environment for customers, employees and business owners.
- California Restaurant Association
Resources specific to the restaurant industry for owners and employees.
- Alcoholic Beverage Control
ABC is providing regulatory relief to support the alcoholic beverage industry in its efforts to assist California in slowing the spread of the virus while assisting the industry in dealing with the economic challenges it is facing as a result. Information includes updates to deliveries to customers, off-sale transactions, retail-to-retail transactions and so much more.
- Restaurant Industry Employee Relief & Resources
Pick Up/Delivery & Gift Card Services
- Communications Assistance
For our business members who need help pivoting their marketing and communications as a result of COVID-19 to meet the changing needs of customers, employees, and stakeholders, the Metro Chamber is now offering rapid response consulting services.